Sleep Better at Night with Chiropractic Care
One of the most important aspects of maintaining a healthy life is to get a good night’s rest. Missing out on proper sleep can negatively affect your function, energy and mood. Before trying or relying on an addictive sleeping aid, there are a lot of all natural and holistic solutions you can try instead to actually treat the problem instead of just simply masking the symptoms.
What is Insomnia? If you have trouble falling asleep during normal bedtime hours, if you wake up repeatedly in the middle of the night, if you wake up incredibly early in the morning and are not able to fall back asleep, or if you are feeling tired instead of refreshed, you may be suffering from insomnia.
How does Insomnia affect me? If you do not get enough sleep at night, or have often interrupted spouts of sleep, you may in turn, suffer the following:
- Extreme drowsiness or fatigue during the day
- Trouble concentrating on even the simplest of tasks
- Low energy
- Excessive irritability
- Physical changes such as weight gain and dark under eye circles
What causes Insomnia? There are many reasons you may not be able to get some good old shut eye including, but not limited to:
- Emotional disruptions- if you are suffering from grief, unhappiness, depression, emotional concerns, anxiety or worries, you may have a hard time sleeping at night.
- Take a look at what you are eating- large amounts of food, alcohol or caffeine before bed can not only keep you from falling asleep but may also disrupt your sleep patterns.
- Get some sunlight- your body has a biological clock, signifying our sleep and wake cycles and patterns. This clock can often be negatively affected if you aren’t getting enough sun exposure.
- Begin an exercise routine- Regular exercise can help bring a positive outlet to your energy levels. Even if you can’t find time to hit the gym, try walking with your family, friends or pets in order to get some fresh air and tire yourself out for a good night’s sleep.
If you are suffering from insomnia, or any other type of sleep ailment, you are not alone. An estimated 24% of people in the U.S. suffer from insomnia. Unfortunately, almost everyone’s first reaction is to use prescription drugs for relief. Instead of taking a prescription to dose off, why not try to find out the reason you are suffering from insomnia? If you want to fix your insomnia once and for all, it’s time to dive a little deeper! One tip is to try to relax throughout the day. Take the time to open up a book, listen to comforting music, or get a journal and try doing an entry every day. Many people even say a warm bath before bed can put you right to sleep! Avoid technology a couple hours before bed time and dim the lights so you can get in that relaxed mindset. Consult with your Doctor of Chiropractic, always! Your Chiropractor can help restore proper function throughout your body, which can improve your sleep patterns! When your nervous system is restored, you are able to get a better and full night’s rest!